Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Enslave Me, Please?

Adrian PetersonI’m trying not to laugh too hard over this but let’s get real. I am the polar opposite of Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson when it comes to football talent, speed, strength and size. I’m also the polar opposite when it comes to how we related to regular folks.

These were Adrian’s words to Yahoo! Sports writer Doug Farrar just before the lockout.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money … the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.'

"There are so many different perspectives from different players, and obviously we're not all on the same page — I don't know. I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done."

There is absolutely nothing that could turn off Joe or Jane Six-Pack in this labor fight more than a professional athlete complaining about his working conditions when sports fans like me have to worry about our own job security every morning we roll out of the rack. Especially when the entry-level salary for an NFL player, and an undrafted one at that, is over $300,000.

In case you’re keeping score at home Peterson is scheduled to make $10.72 million in 2011. Or to put it in terms easier to understand, Peterson makes in one rushing attempt what I and many of you out there make in a whole year.

I’d love to put on the pads and be a slave for that kind of jack.

1 comment:

Brent said...

I wouldn't need that kind of jack to be a slave like AD is. $750,000 would entice me to be the slave.