Sunday, November 14, 2010

Back to Alfond Arena

I shouldn't wait until I have relatives attending the University of Maine to get around to going to Alfond Arena.  With the exception of taking my daughters to see the women's basketball team there several years ago, Saturday night was the first time I'd seen a hockey game there since my brother was an undergrad, almost 21 years ago.  I did see them play in Portland at the Cumberland County Civic Center a few years ago.  At least I can brag that the Black Bears are 3-0 in games I've attended.
Saturday night I had dinner with my eldest daughter, a senior at Maine, and her new husband at their new apartment and then the three of us went to The Alfond for the second game of a weekend series with the Northeastern Huskies.
Things started out slow for Maine.  They weren't anticipating well nor coordinating very well, and the Huskies tactic of standing the faster Maine team up at the blue line was successful at disrupting Maine's rushes in the Offensive zone.  In the 2nd Maine seemed to be more together and tied the game during a power play but Northeastern managed to get the go-ahead goal late in the period.  Well, much to the delight of the always raucous and full Alfond, Maine made the proper adjustments and played like the better team, outscoring Northeastern 3-0 and winning the game 4-2, completing a weekend sweep.
Thanks again to my darling daughter and son-in-law for a very enjoyable evening, putting up with dad's need for sports.  I think they would confirm why Maine has such a great record at the venerable Alfond and why opposing teams don't like to come...the place is so intimate and the crowd is right on top of the rink that it's very loud and intimidating.
If you'd like a full game report, you can read this article from the Bangor Daily News.

2 comments:

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

I love attending games!! Haven't made it yet this year ~ this post makes me want to go, you captured the Maine Spirit! What a great way to spend the evening with your daughter and son-in-law.

TrotRocks said...

Very cool. Weren't we there before it was expanded? I remember the joint was loud, especially with some guy whalin' on a drum or something.

Go UMaine.

I need to get back up there.