A 5-5 record during a week that saw 9 ranked teams get upset has me feeling good. Who forsaw LSU and Air Force laying eggs and USC deciding that they would allow Utah to score early and often and have to rally to win. KIFFIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, let's see if I can eat into this 6 game under .500 deficit this week.
1. Wisconsin (+1) at Purdue - Both of these teams have their destiny in their hands to win the division of the Big Ten that they are in. Penn State and Ohio State are both under probation, so the winner of this game has basically a two game lead in the division. Who would have thought that Purdue would be in this position? Not me.
Predicted Score: Wisconsin 28, Purdue 24
Actual Score: Wisconsin 38, Purdue 14 WIN
2. Northwestern at Minnesota (+3.5) - The Golden Gophers are starting to emerge from the depths of the Big Ten because of Jerry Kill. He isn't the flashiest coach areound and he does have loyal coaches under him. Minnesota is a year away from doing some serious damage in the league.
Predicted Score: Minnesota 31, Northwestern 21
Actual Score: Northwestern 21, Minnesota 13 LOSS
3. Texas at Oklahoma (-3.5) - There are rumors that Mack Brown is on thin ice at Texas. I don't believe them, but if they are true then back to back losses to West Virginia and Oklahoma doesn't help him save his job. Maybe this will be "Shot down at the Red River Shootout".
Predicted Score: Oklahoma 37, Texas 33
Actual Score: Oklahoma 63, Texas 21 WIN
4. Alabama (-22) at Missouri - Oh what a disappointment that Missou is this year. They were talking big at the beginning of this season and now, they are over 20 point dogs to Alabama. Maybe the SEC is having buyer's remorse.
Predicted Score: Alabama 42, Missouri 17
Actual Score: Alabama 42, Missouri 10 WIN
5. West Virginia (-3.5) at Texas Tech - West Virginia has the offensive firepower to outscore their opponent. However, the defense is non-existant from Morgantown. They fit rather well in the Big 12 which is known for lack of defense.
Predicted Score: West Virginia 58, Texas Tech 44
Actual Score: Texas Tech 49, West Virginia 14 LOSS
6. Stanford at Notre Dame (-7) - If the Cardinal were at full strength, we could see the upset here. But since there are a few key injuries to the Cardinal, the Fighting Irish continue with their improbable run towards an undefeated season.
Predicted Score: Norte Dame 34, Stanford 21
Actual Score: Notre Dame 20, Stanford 13 (OT) TIE
7. Florida (-9) at Vanderbilt - The Gators came out and showed their defense was for real last week against LSU. Now let us see if they have the maturity to beat a less talented Vandy team. Because there is usually a letdown after such a performance.
Predicted Score: Florida 31, Vanderbilt 17
Actual Score: Florida 31, Vanderbilt 17 WIN
8. USC (-13.5) at Washington - There has to be a week where the Trojans come to play a full game of football. They should be on the level of Oregon, but yet they don't play like it. Maybe this week is that week.
Predicted Score: USC 45, Washington 24
Actual Score: USC 24, Washington 14 LOSS
9. South Carolina (+3) at LSU - I am not a big South Carolina fan. I don't think that they are as good as everybody else does. However, the anemic offense that LSU has shown us in big games causes me even more worries. I don't know why the Tigers cannot figure out how to have just a decent offense.
Predicted Score: South Carolina 24, LSU 14
Actual Score: LSU 23, South Carolina 21 WIN
10. Tennessee at Mississippi State (-3) - The Volunteers play to their opponent's level. And that usually means that Rocky Top isn't playing at the end of the game. Let's go with the Bulldogs at home since Vegas says that these two teams are equal.
Predicted Score: Mississippi State 27, Tennessee 21
Actual Score: Mississippi State 41, Tennessee 31 WIN
Last Week Results:
Road Favorite: 0-2
Road Underdog: 3-0
Home Favorite: 2-3
Home Underdog: 0-0
Road Favorite: 5-12
Road Underdog: 11-7
Home Favorite: 11-12
Home Underdog: 1-3